Let me tell you a little story about a race.

This weekend I ran the Dallas Hot Chocolate 15k. My first running race ever. I LOVED it. Oh my goodness. I was nervous leading up to the race—not knowing what to expect or really how to prepare—so, on the advice of my sister-in-law (who ran cross-country in college), I went about my life as usual. I tried to drink more water, eat healthfully and take nice easy jogs the week of the race without pushing myself. And, before I knew it, it was race day.

I woke up and followed a similar routine that I’ve developed for the mornings of our triathlons: coffee, cereal and several scoops of peanut butter later, I was dressed and on my way. After getting to the event site where Brian and I met up with our friends Alessandra and Craig and caught up on life, it was race time! I got to my corral (not realizing how quickly the race was going to start) and before I knew it, it was time to roll. I could not help but get a huge, cheesy smile on my face as I inched toward the starting line—I was pumped! As I crossed the line and began to run I took a few deep breaths and let the energy around me sink in.

The first two miles were a cinch, more of a puzzle—weaving in and out of people—than a race. I was distracted by trying to find the right pace, looking all around at the cheering faces and fellow participants, and attempting to keep my nerves in check. Rounding off mile three, I saw Brian for the first time. And let me just tell you: he was such great encouragement for me; I felt myself push a little harder as he cheered me on. Mile four brought with it dreaded hills. Not fun at all, but at least it kept me focused and determined—I tried my best to keep my pace consistent.

Miles four through seven were hard, but I was determined to sustain the pace I had set for myself. The highlight was definitely seeing Brian, Abbie and Dave at the 10k marker. Mile eight was ROUGH. My legs tightened up and everything from the waist down absolutely ached. I kept putting one foot in front of the other. Hitting the mile nine marker brought a tremendous smile to my face as I knew the finish line was mere strides away. And as I rounded the corner, I picked up my pace, lengthened my stride and pushed myself all the way through to the end. It felt SO good—a complete adrenalin rush! My final time was 1:13:09—I surpassed the goal I had set for myself!!

Shout out to the best cheerleaders a girl could ask for: Brian, Abbie and Dave were awesome and I could not have done it without them!

Overall, and despite spending the remainder of Saturday limping around, this was a very positive experience. I love the energy and positivity everyone at the event had—even the volunteers at the water stations across the course were cheering and spurring the participants on. There were so many people from so many walks of life working towards one finish line, but at the same time, very individual goals. {I should note here that I am not a competitive person, and participating in an event like this can and should be fun and not stressful–I highly recommend it for everyone!} It feels amazing to see the challenge through—and I am already getting excited for my next challenge in March: upping the mileage for a half marathon!


2 thoughts on “Mileage.

  1. Pingback: The Heart of Life | The Heart of Life

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s