Found this recipe online and I can’t wait to try it. Brian loves blood oranges, so I think this will be the perfect “welcome home” treat for him when he comes back from Ireland next week!
Blood Orange Margarita
Ideally, you’d make this with fresh-squeezed blood orange juice. However, blood oranges are a seasonal citrus fruit, so a good substitute is Trader Joe’s Italian Volcano Orange Juice, which is made from blood oranges instead. (Bonus: Volcano makes it sound cooler!!).
Since this recipe involves squeezing a fair amount of citrus, you can make the juice mix ahead and store it in the fridge until you’re ready to have a drink. It should keep for 2 days or so.
Make the juice mix in a 4-cup measure, or quart mason jar (good for shaking in the sugar)
- juice of 3 limes
- juice of 3 oranges (Valencia are better than navels for this)
- pour in enough blood orange juice to bring your mix to about 3 cups total
- sugar to taste – this mix will be pretty sour at first, so you will want to add some sugar
Refrigerate until serving time. To serve – prep your glasses, rocks or not, salt or not, etc.
- 2 oz. tequila
- 1 oz. (or less) triple sec
- 2-3 oz. juice mix (if it’s on the rocks you may use less)
Pour into prepared glass, float a sliver of lime on top and serve. You should have enough mix for 5-6 margaritas.